My Dad used to make these yummy oatcakes for our family as I was growing up and they were, and still are loved by all! I recently asked him for his recipe and made a batch for my own family! They went down pretty well with some homemade tomato soup. ( 'Tomato lover's soup' from the excellent cookbook 'Trinity's Concious Kitchen' ) I altered the recipe slightly by adding a handful of grated cheese and a tablespoon of engevita dried yeast powder to make them cheesy, but I am writing the original recipe as my Dad wrote it for me for this post.
WHAT YOU NEED:
( Makes approx 10 oatcakes)
- 250g Fine oatmeal
- Pinch of salt
- Heaped tblsp butter- melted
- Boiling water
WHAT TO DO:
- Turn oven on to 200 degrees c
- Place oatmeal and salt in a large bowl
- Add melted butter and stir in
- Add boiling water a little at a time till mixture is a pliable dough
- Use a little oatmeal to 'flour' the surface and roll out to approximately 1/2 cm thickness
- Use a cookie cutter or a glass to cut out your oatcakes and place on a greased baking tray
- Place in oven for 20-25 mins
- Enjoy with a bowl of steaming soup for lunch or with butter and jam at tea time!
Subscribe below to receive each new post hot off the press direct to your email!