Elderberry syrup is a fantastic thing to have in your fridge over the winter months. It tastes delicious and it is so packed with vitamin C and all sorts of other cold and flu fighting goodness that it is a great medicine for the whole family to take a spoon full of every day. Now is the time that all the berries are ripening so go out and find an elder tree and get stocked up with this wonderful herbal remedy! You can also use dried berries which are easily purchased from wholefood stores or online.
WHAT YOU NEED:
1 1/2 cups fresh elderberries or 2/3 cup dried elderberries
3 1/2 cups water (preferably spring water)
2 tblspn fresh or dried ginger
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp cloves
1 cup raw honey
WHAT TO DO:
- Pour the water into a saucepan and add elderberries, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves
-Bring to the boil then cover and simmer for about an hour till liquid has reduced by about 1/2
- Remove from heat and allow to cool till lukewarm
- Pour mixture through a sieve into a glass or ceramic bowl and squish all liquid out of berry mixture
- Put berry mixture into compost and add honey to your liquid, stir in honey well
- When honey is well mixed pour into sterilized jars or bottles
- store in the fridge, will last several months.
Arisha's Inspiration Corner
Hi there, I am Arisha. Thanks for stopping by my little corner of inspirations! I LOVE making things. This blog is a place for me to share with you, lots of lovely things to make and do including:
Subscribe below to receive each new post hot off the press direct to your email!