My daughter is very excited about learning to read. She can't wait till she can curl up with whichever book she fancies and read every word! We haven't pushed her to begin reading till she was ready, and that time has definitely come! To help make the process a bit more fun, I decided to make her this alphabet pocket wall chart. The idea is that she/we can draw pictures of things that begin with each letter and put it in the correct pocket, or even put actual things that begin with each letter in the pockets, if they are small enough! This way she can make the letter associations more visual and hopefully remember them better! I made this using a sewing machine, but you could easily sew this by hand too, and even stick the letters onto the pockets with fabric glue if you wanted.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 7 pieces of coloured craft felt ( the squares you get in craft shops)
- Large piece of thick fabric for back, mine measures 22 x 34 inches (Or 2 thin pieces sewn together)
- Small length of ribbon (Approx 9 inches)
WHAT TO DO:
- Cut out 26 squares of felt in a variety of colours approx 4 x 4 inches each
- Cut out each alphabet letter from a contrasting colour to the background squares
- Carefully sew or glue each letter to it's square and place in order in rows of 5
- Sew the letter squares together in rows of five with the Z square separate
- If you have one thick piece of fabric for the back, then hem round the edges, if you have 2 thinner pieces, then sew them together inside out leaving a small gap to turn the right way round. Stitch gap closed once it is right sides out.
- Take your background piece of fabric and arrange and pin the rows evenly spaced with the Z at the very bottom.
- Sew each row on as if it were one long pocket, then sew in between each letter, making sure to leave the top of the pockets open
- Sew the Z pocket on at the bottom
- Cut your ribbon into 3 pieces and make into 3 loops
- Sew the ribbon loops on securely at the top of your big fabric, one at each side and one in the middle.
- Cut lots of little pieces of paper or card and have fun with your little one drawing things which begin with each letter to put into the pockets
Arisha's Inspiration Corner
Hi there, I am Arisha. Thanks for stopping by my little corner of inspirations! I LOVE making things. This blog is a place for me to share with you, lots of lovely things to make and do including:
Subscribe below to receive each new post hot off the press direct to your email!