I absolutely LOVE to bling up my lampshades. There is barely an ordinary lampshade left in our house! This is so easy to do, but it makes such a difference to the whole look of the lamp and indeed the ambiance of the room! All you need is a few simple bits and bobs and some imagination and you will be creating gorgeous one off original lampshades before you know it!
WHAT YOU NEED:
- a light coloured lampshade
- bits of fabric (vintage floral's work very well)
- Ribbons or lace for edges
- Mod podge glue (available on ebay)
- bead or fringe trim, long enough to go round the base of your lampshade (also available on ebay and some etsy shops)
- paintbrush and fabric scissors
- fabric glue
WHAT TO DO:
- Lay out some newspaper to keep your work area clean
- Cut strips and pieces of fabric and roughly lay in place over lampshade to where you will glue it
- Begin painting the mod podge onto the lampshade and sticking the fabric on piece by piece
- Very slightly overlap the pieces
- When you have covered the lampshade completely, paint a layer of mod podge over the whole thing to seal it
- Once this is dry, trim any rough edges neatly
- Now glue a piece of velvet ribbon or lace all round the top edge of the lampshade with fabric glue
- Now take your bead trim or fringe and carefully glue round the bottom edge bit by bit and slightly overlap edges
- Once that is dry, glue on a piece of ribbon or lace over the ribbon the beads are attached to
- Add embellishments as you see fit, in the lampshade pictured, I have made some strings with tiny glass beads and a little wooden heart at the bottom, and stitched them on at intervals around the lampshade. You can also mod podge on extras, like cotton lace doilies or even leaves or pressed flowers! Have fun with it. I would love to see pictures if anyone tries this project! Happy crafting!
Subscribe below to receive each new post hot off the press direct to your email!